In front of Brutus' house
[Enter Portia and Lucius.]
[Enter the Soothsayer.]
- I beg you, boy, run to the Senate House.
Don't wait to answer me, but get going!
Why are you waiting?
- To find out what you want me to do, madam.
- I would have had you run there and back again
Before I told you what you should do there.
O firmness of purpose, be strong beside me;
Put a huge mountain between my heart and tongue!
I have a man's mind, but a woman's strength.
How hard it is for women to keep secrets!
Are you still here?
- Madam, what should I do?
Run to the Capitol, and nothing else?
And so return to you and nothing else?
- Yes, let me know, boy, if your master looks well,
For he was sickly when he left; and notice
What Caesar does, what suitors stand near him.
Listen, boy! What is that noise?
- I don't hear anything, madam.
- I ask you, listen well.
I heard a commotion like a battle,
And the wind brings it from the Capitol.
- Truthfully, madam, I hear nothing.
- Come here, fellow. Where have you been?
- At my own house, good lady.
- What time is it?
- About the ninth hour, lady.
- Has Caesar gone to the Capitol yet?
- Madam, not yet. I am going to take my place,
To see him go to the Capitol.
- You have some favor to ask of Caesar, don't you?
- Yes, I do, lady. If it will please Caesar
To do himself a favor and listen to me,
I shall beg him to act as his own friend.
- Why, do you know of any harm planned toward him?
- None that I am certain of, much that I am afraid may happen.
Good day to you. Here the street is narrow.
The crowd that follows at Caesar's heels,
Of senators, of praetors, common suitors,
Will crowd a feeble man almost to death.
I'll move to a more open place and there
Speak to great Caesar as he comes along.
[Exit in different directions.]
- I must go in. Ay, me, how weak
The heart of woman is! O Brutus,
The heavens help you in your enterprise--
Surely the boy heard me. Brutus has a request
That Caesar will not grant.--O, I grow faint.--
Run, Lucius, and give my husband my good wishes;
Say I am happy. Come back to me
And tell me what he says to you.